Recipe: Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
Many, many months ago when Sinéad visited me, we had lunch at a vegan restaurant where she ordered a chickpea salad sandwich. I love chickpeas in every form that’s ever entered my mouth, so I was immediately intrigued (but not as intrigued as I was by the “All-American vegan burger” I ordered that really did taste like beef). I vowed to replicate the sandwich at home so I could try it – and I wasn’t disappointed!
- 1 can (rinsed and patted dry) chickpeas
- 2 stalks of celery, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup of carrots, cut into small pieces (I used matchstick carrots and chopped them up a bit!)
- 1/3 cup of vegan mayonnaise (you can also use regular mayo, but I was replicating the vegan-ness of the restaurant!)
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh dill (chopped)
- 1/2 lemon’s worth of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder to taste
- For the sandwiches: Bread, tomato, lettuce, avocado, whatever else you like on sandwiches!
- Using a fork, mash the chickpeas until they’re a “smushy” consistency. They should have some chunks but most of the beans should be smashed and not whole.
- Add the other ingredients (veggies, mayo, mustard, seasonings, etc) and mix well.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before serving – you can let it sit longer and allow the dill to ~flavorize~, but I wouldn’t keep this for more than a day or two.
- Assemble sandwiches! Serve with veggies & hummus, pita chips or a fresh fruit salad! 🙂