Yesterday I spent almost an hour writing a really long, heartfelt post about my 2016, believing that being positive in the face of all the negativity of the year would start 2017 off on the “right foot”.
After typing paragraphs of what I’m grateful for and have accomplished this last year and then scouring every available source (email, external HD, laptop, PC, phone, etc) to find the accompanying photos and tagging everyone that I felt had had an impact on me this year, my browser decided to shut down on its own and everything was lost.
I chalked it up to just another thing that went wrong in 2016 and to move past it and just start over next year without spending so much time (and additional effort) recapping the past.
But after some thought, I decided I didn’t want to just sweep 2016 under the rug. It was a life changing year for me, in good and bad ways, and I feel like a stronger and better person because of it. I want to give it the recognition it deserves – but this time I won’t rely on Facebook’s inability to safe a status draft on my PC! 😛
I decided to split this up into three sections, although I’ll try to stay as brief as possible since the majority of it will probably be photos. I’m also going to have a “Best of 2016” post with my favorite books, movies and music of the year as well as a ~2017 GOALS~ post, yay! So without further ado…
- I rang in 2016 with a Twilight Zone marathon and half a week of Disney World adventures (and Star Wars!)
- I started a Bullet Journal (and have actually kept up with it!)
- With the support of my family, friends and their loved ones, I was able to financially afford a much needed visit to a specialist about my stomach issues. I was diagnosed and have been on medication for treatment that has been working pretty well for the most part (so long as I watch what I eat, drink and also keep my stress levels in check).
- I started practicing yoga and felt the many benefits, including heightened energy levels, stronger muscles and bendability!
- I spent A LOT of time at Disney World, going with local friends and also during visits from friends I’ve known years from other countries!
- I started collecting “Fat Babies” – AKA Tsum Tsums, which is a weird name IMO and Fat Babies is so much more fitting
- I got a new computer!!
- I was able to devote a lot of my free time to practicing my drawing and painting, and I sold lots of art commissions to friends and even strangers!
- I got a new tarot deck that I’m in love with (Karen Marie Sweikhardt’s “Tarot of a Moon Garden” – the art is so whimsical!)
- I spent time with my family, including my beautiful little niece and nephew (and both of their beautiful mamas!).
- Speaking of family, I also met a sister for the first time in person that I didn’t know I had until recently! She is gorgeous, funny, smart and so sweet.
- I got to continue working at a job that offers an amount of flexibility that is unparalleled and that I’ve met so, so many wonderful people from
- Soooo many snuggles with my puppies!
- I rode (and flipped) a jet ski — twice!
- MY PUPPIES AND I MOVED ACROSS THE COUNTRY! 3k+ miles from everything I know and am used to has been scary but so rewarding!
- I got my passport for the first time ever
- Pokemon GO!
- I got 7 new tattoos this year and I love every single one of them. They represent, symbolize and embody so many things that bring happiness into my life and I’m so lucky to have gotten so many!
- I visited Green Meadows Farm again for the first time in over 20 years! (I didn’t try to steal any piglets this time, I swear.)
- I was able to meet and spend time with so many people in my new state!
- I went to a Pagan Pride Festival and toured Sacramento (and ate tons of froyo!) with someone who has been one of my best BFFs from work for 3+ years now! I also had the privilege of attending her super fun Halloween-themed wedding
- I finally traveled out of the country! I spent an extended weekend in Toronto with some of the most amazing and sweet girls I’ve ever known – and I saw my e-BFF of the last several years get married to her soul mate!
- I went to my first baseball game – I ate a hot dog, bought a foam finger and the team I was cheering for won!
- I saw live mermaid performers for my birthday!
- Two words: Apple Hill (mmmmmmm!)
- I got so many cool things throughout the year, from books and games to make-up and other cool gifts (like my new Instax camera!!)
- I learned how to make my own lattes from home (saving me tons of Starbucks $$)
- I got to see my favorite band of the last 12 years play live, and also visited Reno for the first time to do so! Brand New, the Front Bottoms and Modern Baseball were amazing and I’m so glad I got to go!
- I was reminded time and time again of how lucky I am for such an amazingly supportive network of people around me that care and genuinely want to see me do well in life. As hard as it is for me to ask for help, every time I’ve managed to I have been met with open arms and more assistance than I know how to properly convey my gratitude for.
- I spent a lot of the year struggling with pretty terrible depression and anxiety. I’m on medicine for both now, but I still have lots of rough days.
- I had to leave my kitty (and 2 of my puppies) behind in the move
- After moving and getting to know one of the most wonderful doggos ever, he got very sick and had to be put down
- There was so much loss – so many people who aren’t going to be starting 2017 with us, so many tragedies and sad circumstances. Beloved celebrities, loved ones, pets, dancing people in clubs, victims of war. The hatred from people this year has been really, really disheartening to see and experience.
- During my move, over half of my belongings were damaged – most of it irreparably so. The truck and moving companies refused to accept liability and only gave me a portion of what was lost (in addition to charging me over $1k to have my things destroyed)
- I had a lot of trouble with my body and stomach especially. I was hospitalized several times and spent a month of 2016 vomiting blood every day because I couldn’t afford healthcare (even with insurance).
- I had many interactions with people in my life that I won’t really go into but will just deem as “unpleasant” in an overall blanket statement sense
- My phone pooped out on me mysteriously and although I was able to get it fixed, I lost several months of really important photos (including everything from my birthday, my trip to Toronto and my trip to Apple Hill)
- Two words: The election
- Two more words: Donald Trump
- I got a small cold in September that quickly developed into bronchitis (and I still have it 3 months later, hooray!)
As awful as this year has been in so many respects, the Good Things that I’ve been able to experience (which honestly is a much longer list than the above, trust me!) have vastly outnumbered the Bad Things. Sometimes it’s hard to keep that in mind, but now here it is – in writing, on my blog for me (and the world) to see. I’ve struggled but I’ve also come a long way (emotionally and even physically — hello, west coast!) and I’ve put a lot of focus into what I want to do moving forward. I don’t know if this next year will be better or worse than the last, but I do know that I’ll do my best to get through it — and maybe next year the good will still outweigh the not-so-good. 🙂